Monday, October 24, 2005

sheets & strikes, a study


IMAG0236
Originally uploaded by clickykbd.

A 52 image abstract study of a relatively ordinary object. Shot these the same night as my last two sets, all in an effort to learn the quirks and capabilities of the new camera I have for this technique.

View the entire set or slideshow


Uploaded by clickykbd (52 images total)

Just a study, but this has to be one of my favorite series taken with this technique to date. I couldn't help notice how overwhelmingly "organic" some of the results feel. Many even resemble smoke photography, something I would have previously considered nearly impossible to fake.

The subject for this set also proved to be extremely worthy of the technique. An electric device, but powered with direct current, so it lacks the telltale 60htz flashing effect seen in so many camera toss photos. It also has a very intriciate and lovely texture when photographed in motion. When I was lucky enough to have part of the toss in sharp focus, this texture really stand out (worth viewing at original size).

It's ability to overlap itself without blowing out the detail of the layer below really enhanced the effects of this technique.

Besides making lovely desktop backgrounds, which many of these do, I really hope to spend some time with this subject and a film camera, for enlarging!

3 comments:

Lurid said...

Well, this is just about the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I'm going to have to start small with my expensive nice camera, but when I get back the cheap one I loaned out--mega camera tossing is in my future.

Excellent blog!

J

Emz said...

This is absolutely brilliant. I have never seen such a cool picture like these. Great blog site!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with emz and note each layer of texture left a memorable illustration.