Saturday, October 15, 2005

reviewed: Canon 10D

Camera tossing specific product review.
camera reviews listing

Canon EOS 10D by _Nod
Links
specs on dpreview.com
examples on pbase.com
Yes I know what you’re all thinking! But I had fewer qualms about tossing this camera than you may imagine. I’ve had my 10D for some time now and it’s been knocked, bumped, scratched, bashed and even used out in the rain, more times than I care to remember. This is a very well built camera; I can vouch for that as well as anybody! My greatest concern was the lens attached to the front of it, for most my tosses I’ve used my Cossina 19-35mm which is relatively “cheap” compared to some lenses, but still not something I’d want to drop!

I’m very used to the weight of the 10D now as I’ve hand held it for hours with heavy lenses on, so for me this wasn’t too much of an issue, what was an issue is the erratic way the 10D seems to move through the air, this seems to vary depending what lens you use, but with the Cossina on there, the 10D was very awkward to catch. Especially I wanted to avoid any impact on the lens particularly the front element. When using the smaller canon 50mm things seem a lot easier, but I much prefer the results from a wide angle lens.

Obviously the Canon 10D gives you so much more control over the settings than you get on a p&s and there is a certain rush of adrenaline that isn’t quite the same with a cheaper camera. But apart from those benefits I don’t think the 10D is a truly viable option, the photos aren’t quite as vivid out of the camera as p&s cameras and there is always the niggling feeling in the back of your head that you’re playing the numbers game and one day you may just drop it! It was fun while it lasted, but I think the time has come to put the 10D into tossing retirement, the risks simply aren’t worth the rewards!

camera reviews listing